Question

02 Apr 2007

narccistic personality disoder
My husband sister is a bully, she has bullied me since I have been married to her brother(9years). All this time my husband never wanted to get involved, but each time I tried to stand up for myself, she would get angry and insult my husband, who would inturn blame me for the conflict. Recently I decided to write her a letter expresing how I feel and asked her to leave me and my children alone. This angered her, to the point where she has isolated me from my in-laws. Though my in-laws are aware if her bully tactics including my husband, none of them has the gutts to approach her and tell her that she is causing division in the family. My concern is that my husband fails to acknowledge that I have been treated unfairly and that his sister is sick, I have presented literature to him on his sister's personality disoder, he refuses to read it and claims that I am obssesing about her. The said thing is that she wields so much influence and control over the whole family that I think my marriage is under threat. How can I make my husband realize that his sister is sick and she is threat to our marriage?

If it is his sister who is bullying you, then h IS involved, and if he allows her to do it without proteting you, that's abuse by proxy. And his sister is probably n ot sick, just selfish and badly behaved. WOuld he agree to join you in marriage counselling ? And to what extent can you just ignore her and cut her out of your lives ? Have you discussed the situation with their parents ?