Question

Nasty Carbs!
I am a 25 year old, 5'3, 35 kg, vegetarian female. I do cardio every day for about 50 minutes at the gym. I have found that my cravings for carbohydrates keep getting worse and worse and that I have become prone to binging on things like high-fibre bran and rolled oats (especially late at night). When I wake up in the morning my stomach is bloated (naturally) and I look less 'bony', however, I have not put on any scale weight. Could my scale be lying? Could I have put on weight that it won't pick up? How much binging / kilojoules would I have to consume in a day or week to gain a kilogam of body fat?

Dear Reader
Carbs aren't nasty, and cyclists who participate in the Tour de France, who are among the fittest people in world, get up to 70% of their energy from carbs. The snag is that carbs are not high in energy, esp those high-fibre ones like the oats and the bran, so if you want to gain weight you need to eat some fat. However, I am concerned that you may have an eating disorder which is making you binge and possibly also making you avoid foods that are high in energy like nuts, salad dressing, margarine, and full fat milk. If you suspect that you are developing an eating disorder, then please go for help ASAP. Contact a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings) to obtain the name and address of your nearest dietitian), who will help you to sort out your eating habits, and help you to gain weight. You may also require the help of a clinical psychologist to help you stop binging (look them up in the phone book or ask your dr to refer you). In the meanwhile, try to increase your protein and fat intake so that you are eating balanced meals - eat some cheese, eggs and milk and put salad dressing on your salads and polyunsaturated margarine on your bread, potatoes and cooked vegs.
Take care