Question

Nausea
I know there are a number of runners experiencing Nausea while running and I'm one of those "many" unfortunate ones. I haven't heard anyone mentioning any medication strong enough that can help any runner. The past 2 Comrades marathons I must have swallowed 6 anti-nausea tables i.e. on each occassion. I purcahsed these tables at a local pharmacy. It's 2008 and I hope and pray that there must be a remedy to help me and other runners. Can u recommend something ??

HI YM

Tricky one - as you mention, it's a really common and difficult problem, which is why it's so prevalent. I'm not sure what over-the-counter meds you've tried, but I know that often "motion sickness" tablets are quite effective - you might try to get a prescription for one of those. I know of a few doctors who have found that these motion tablets (same as the ones give to people who suffer from sea-sickness) to be quite effective.

The second option is to try a prescription anti-nausea tablet, rather than over the counter ones. They might just be more effective for you.

And then finally, have you considered that perhaps it's got something to do with race diet or fluid intake? It's always possible that you're not accustomed to sweet things, and I know from being in the medical tent at the last few Comrades, that a lot of runners come in with nausea, simply beause they've taken in too much fluid, and particularly, sweetened drinks. It's possible that if you took in more water, maybe more salty foods, you'd overcome that! That's a bit of a desperate tactic, but hopefully it works!

Ross