Question

Nausea after exercising
I work out (running, cycling, spinning) most days but sometimes I feel nauseus afterwards, either for just a few hours or the whole day. I always eat before I exercise, even if it's just a banana.

Do you perhaps know hat might be causing this and how I could prevent it?

thanks for your time

Hi there

Bananas aren't the best option, since they are digested slowly, so rather go for a light carbohydrate snack, such as 2 pieces of white toast with jam (honey) on them. These will be digested much more quickly.

Here is some info about exercise nutrition:

PRE-EXERCISE MEAL
The pre-exercise meal is important for energy, especially before morning exercise. The lowering of glucose supply to the brain can have a negative effect on your mental power and the lack of energy can also hinder your workout.

Consuming a meal, or at least a light snack before exercise, helps to maintain normal blood sugar levels and endurance. Complex carbohydrates are ideal because they are quickly digested and absorbed into the bloodstream, leaving the stomach quickly so there is less chance of indigestion and nausea during the event.
The pre-exercise meal should be low in fat. You also need to avoid high fibre and gas-forming foods; these foods can cause stomach discomfort during the exercise. High fibre foods are excellent choices for general nutrition, but are not recommended for the pre-exercise meal.

You should always start exercise in a fully hydrated state. Avoid starting a workout thirsty.

NOURISHMENT DURING EXERCISE

Goals for nourishment during exercise:
„h Replace fluid.
„h Maintain normal blood sugar levels (perhaps something that you are not doing?)
„h Provide source of energy for the exercising muscles

Replenishing carbohydrates and fluids can postpone fatigue and prolong peak performance and ensure greater stamina. Scientific studies shows that after one-hour of continuous exercise, athletes are likely to tire due to low carbohydrate levels. Research data also suggests that fatigue can be delayed by as much as 30-60 minutes by consuming carbohydrates during exercise.

NOURISHMENT AFTER EXERCISE

Things to consider after exercise:
„h Replenish carbohydrates to maintain exercise performance on a day-to-day basis.
„h Replace fluid that has been lost during exercise.
If you want to be ready for the next day¡¦s workout, you must replenish your carbohydrate

After the carbohydrate supply has been depleted, it takes 24-48 hours for full recovery. Research shows that full recovery can be achieved if carbohydrate (and some protein) consumption begins immediately after exercise or within the first 30 minutes after exercise. Failure to consume carbohydrates during this time may hinder endurance.
If exercise "kills the appetite," (as you mention) and makes you feel nauseus, try drinking sport beverages (even if they are diluted), since they can provide adequate carbohydrates and fluid replacement.

I hope this helps.
If, after applying these points, you STILL suffer from nausea, I would consult a doctor.

Good luck!