Question

Neck problems

For the past 3 weeks I've a sore neck. It's not really the tense muscles but more on the top of my neck. Every evening it gets worse and i start getting head cahes and feel nausea coming on. It's staring to make my left shoulder sore which then gives me pins and needles on my left han. I've been to the doctor and was given muscle relaxants. They work, but only for a few hours.

Please advise

Thabi, it sounds like you’re suffering from a tension headache. The main characteristics of a tension headache are the following:
ÿ Headache lasts hours - a week
ÿ Female much more than male
ÿ Attacks can be daily
ÿ Both sides of the head or like a tight band around the head
ÿ Mild to moderate intensity
ÿ Dull, persistent pain
ÿ Tight and painful neck muscles and / or stomach ache

You might of course also have a pinched nerve in your neck or even a neck vertebra problem, but I won’t be able to give you a definite answer without being able to examine you first. If it doesn’t clear up within the next couple of days, the best would be to see your doctor or a neurologist (even better). Good luck.
PS I wrote something on the different types of headaches people suffer from most commonly and if you’re interested in a copy you can mail me at cyberdoc@mweb.co.za. Good luck.