Ask an expert

23 Feb 2009

need a therapist
I think I need to see a therapist. I am full of self-hate, and don' t think I' m worth much, but my boyfriend and family seem to think I' m a good person. My boyfried and I have gone through a very rough patch, financially and emotionally, and we are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, but I feel depressed, unworthy, insecure, and tearful almost all the time. I know I have major issues to deal with, and if I don' t try sort myself out then I won' t get anywhere in life.
Could you advise a good therapist around the Edenvale area in Joburg?
Answer 346 views

01 Jan 0001

Well, sounds like ti could indeed help you to see a good shrink. Your bf and familty are pobably right, and you ARE a good person, but until you recognize and feel that too, you will remain uncomfortale I can't recommend specific therapists, but there should be several within reach of you. If you have a GP, ask him/her, or your local Lifeline or the Depression-Anxiety Support Group could recommend some in your area. Ask especially about CBT, Cognitive-behaviour Therapy, which works well, and avoid analytical style counselling, which is useless.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.