Question

Need career advice
I am going through a very difficult time at the moment...
I am in a dead end career, and feel so hopeless...
I am a COBOL programmer, and that is ALL I do! The company I work for - there is NO future, yes, I can still be here in 10 years, but I will be in the exact same position I am in now, doing exactly the same thing! And i HATE what I am doing!!!

All the job oppurtunities that are available look for people with experience in other stuff that I will not get here....
Basically, they screw you and make sure you cannot go anywhere!

This is really starting to effect my marriage as I am in such a deppro.....

Hubby and I talked about me studying something, but I have NO idea what....

Any suggestions?
And how do I make the best of this crappy situation??????

Sounds like this is either an accidental misfortune, or, as you imply, a situation in which the company has been strategically happy to dead-end you, to keep you around conveniently. Maybwe you should consult a labour lawyer, as there may be some obligations for a company to provide opportunities for career development and broader training. Are there truly no other job oportunities in COBOL ? Are there not other companies with legacy programmes needing these skills, but perhaps more alert to helping their employees to develop further ?
SOme psychologists ( not all ) provide vocational advice, and can do a range of tests which assess your interests and your abilities, and suggest work field which fit both