Ask an expert

10 Jul 2011

Need help
Please can you help me. I need to get help. I am *think I am* suffering from depression/post natal depression and other things added to it. Who do I need to see psychiatrist? Therapist? Psychologist? I have absolutely no idea. I never see doctors and do not even have regular GP that I can ask.
Answer 356 views

01 Jan 0001

In the first place, I'd see a psychiatrist, who is a specialist who is fully medically trained and also trained in recognizing and treating psych disorders. He/she would do a proper assessment of the whole situation, and should discuss with you whatever diagnosis seems appropriate, and what your best treatment options are. With depression, and maybe even more PND, medication can be very helpful, but best usually if combined with psychological counselling / therapy, which may need a referral also to a psychologist.
These conditions usually respond really well to proper treatment, and I hope you will soon be feeling much better
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9322 votes
67% - 18678 votes