Question

Need tips on getting fit for walking
I have a family history of bad knees. I use to jog, but lately when jogging more that 4 km my knees take strain. No I have decided to take up walking as this is suppose to be better for ones knees as it puts less strain on your joints.
In July there is a half marathon than I would love to attempt.
How do I need to train to be fit enough. I would say that my fitness level is moderate. At the moment I walk more or less 10 km twice a week. Is this too little?
Please give me a few tips.

Hi walker

I suggest you go to "Shape up for Summer" on the home page and follow the running programme there - except walk instead of running. I would suggest walking 3 times a week, so perhaps do one extra walk, but concentrate more obn speed eg a fast 5km or so - later you could add some hill-work and do a hilly route for your third session or alternate one week - hilly route - one week - faster session.

Good luck! You shoudl do well.