Question

Need to eat 200g of protein a day, how?
hey dietdoc,

im on a bodybuilding programme, and i want to gain muscle mass, im currently eating around 140g of protein per day, but i want to up this to 200g, how could i achieve this? could u send me a sample diet? thanks alot

greywolve@imaginet.co.za

Dear Grey Wolf
If you eat protein at every meal and use a high-protein supplement you should achieve this kind of protein intake. But it is really NOT a good idea to burden your body with so much protein as this can have negative effects on kidney function and you don't want to damage your kidneys. Most athletes require 1,6g of protein per kg. I don't know what you weigh at present, but let's say you weigh 70 kg (?), then the 140g of protein a day is more than sufficient also when building muscle. Remember that most protein foods are also high in fats (total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol) which can have a negative effect on blood cholesterol levels. This is why it is probably less dangerous to use a protein supplement which contains amino acids, whey, etc and very little fat. Also keep in mind that carbs are 'protein-sparing' and that you need a relatively high carb intake to a) use the protein you ingest more efficiently, b) sustain the energy you require for the workout.
Take care