Question

Need to look better
I need to know why certain people pick up weight quickly and others don’t pick up (metabolism) I also need to now what to do if I want to pick up 10 to 15 kgs in a hurry before my birthday on the 11 April?
Help me please .I too need to look good .I weigh 49 kg’s and I’m 1.5 meters tall.

Certain people have much higher metabolic rates - these people burn more energy when at rest, and so they look generally thinner, leaner etc than others. These other people have slower metabolic rates and so they burn energy very slowly. This means that even the smallest disturbance in their energy intake will cause them to pick up weight.

There are also 3 general body types - these are ectomorphs, mesomorphs and endomorphs. Ectomorphs are naturally skinny - they are usually thin for their height, with a low BMI. Mesomorphs are bulky and usually put on muscle weight very easily - they naturally have more muscle. Endomorphs are rounder and tend to pick up weight easily if they are not careful about diet and exercise.

Remember that you fall into one of these categories, and so you must set realistic goals for your training. If you are ectomorphic, then you may struggle to rapidly put on muscle mass. However, regardless of your body type, keep the following in mind:

You must make sure that for building mass and especially muscle mass, that you are eating enough proteins and carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are important as the body's main source of energy during exercise. Feelings of fatigue, lack of energy, tiredness are all indications of a lack of carbohydrates in the diet. Foods that contain carbohydrates include rice, potatoes, pasta, bread etc. Any starchy food is a good bet.

Then, in terms of proteins, you must try to eat meats, fish, eggs etc. as good sources of proteins. Ideally, these types of foods should make up 30% of your diet, with carbohydrates about 60 to 70%. Fats should be kept to a minimum of about 10 to 20%.

If you are needing a specific diet, and are serious about making sure that you are eating optimally, then I would recommend that you see a dietician. As Biokineticists, we are experts in the field of exercise prescription and not specific diets and nutrition. I would suggest that you contact a dietician in your area who will be able to help you with a personalized diet. If you need help locating a dietician in your area www.dietetics.co.za may help you. You need to look under PPD (Private Practice Dieticians).

Then finally, keep in mind that you must train properly to increase mass, and eating well is not enough on its own.

If your aim were to build muscle, the following guidelines will help you:
· Perform 6-10 reps at a high intensity - use a weight that you could lift 12 to 15 times
· Perform 3-4 sets
· Rest 30-60 seconds between reps
· Train each muscle group at least once or twice a week
· Allow 48 hours rest between each muscle’s workout

If your aim were to tone muscle, the following guidelines will help you:
· Perform 10-15 reps but at a much lower intensity - use a weight that would allow you to lift the weight at least 25 times.
· Perform 4-6 sets
· Rest 30-60 seconds between reps

There is a very good website that you can use - http://www.atozfitness.com/chris/Methods_3.htm

This contains details of how to structure your training, and is well worth a look.