Question

Need to loose weight - HIV+
Hi Doc, i have always been overweight, i don't eat much but i get fat anyway. i've gotten to admit that it might be in my genes. maybe i have a slow metabolism or something. and last year sometime i lost lots of weight (i was depressed, and not eating), about 12 kg and i was weighing 58kg. that was before i knew about the HIV thing. after that i guess i was eating more, but still less than an average person. now i have gained so much weight i am weighing around 75kg. i want to lose all of the weight. my dr said i can go on a diet it's fine. but i want to find out is that what type of diet? can i take supplements that eccelarate my metabolism, and which are those?

i guess i want to find out what type of food should i eat to lose weight without compromising my immune system.

Dear Jojo
A person who has HIV should under no circumstances use slimming pills because they all have a variety of negative side-effects (dependence, addiction, tremors, insomnia, palpitations, irritability, psychotic reactions, etc). A number of these products have been banned in many countries because of their negative side-effects, which include addiction and dependence. If you have HIV and are overweight then I would urge you not to try and lose weight, but if you are determined then you must consult a clinical dietitian. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area.