Question

04 Apr 2007

need to understand
Firstly I need to say I am so much more settled and I see the light. I have added Pastorial care to my support group and feel I am moving forward. Although I no lnger have nightmares, I still have disturbing dreams. I have managed to tell my doctor what happened to me as a child, but am unable to get into the specifics. When I have a flashback, I feel frozen back in time, and I am accepting that I will never understand why people do the things they do. I feel 'ugly' after a flashback. What I am battling with is his glee while hurting me or tormenting me. If I accept all of what happened to me, am I condoning it? How do I intergrate all of this? As I work through the flashbacks more seem to come back, most of the time I can shut them off, but there are times when my energy is low, or I am stressing over other things that nothing seems to stop them. Please guideme.

Accepting THAT it happened, is important and helpful --- but it is by no means condoning it. I accept that World War 2 did occur, but I don't condone it. It does not involve accepting that he was RIGHT to do such things, or that what he did was "acceptable" --- its agreeing to usefully move beyond the facts. Again, CBT sttyle counselling is most likely to be useful