Question

NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS
I would like to know, what are the negative side effects when you are an on and off again dieter? I would diet for days and then all of the sudden eat anything that comes in my way :-( maybe if i know the negative impact this have on my body i would start to stick to one eating plan

Dear Sarah
Yo-yo dieting has a negative effect on metabolism because you keep on exposing your body to different levels of food intake. One moment you may be 'starving' if you use a restricted or very-low-energy diet, the next moment the body is provided with abundant food. Now the human body has been designed to always try to stay in a state of balance and to protect you against starvation. So when you expose your metabolism to unlimited food after a period of potential deprivation, all the systems will switch to conserving energy and storing fat. To prevent this rebound fat gain, it is better to use a balanced diet with a moderate energy content which you can use all the time, instead of seesawing up and down all the time. With each period of regain you will also be exposed to the risk of gaining more weight than during the previous period of plenty!
Do try and use a balanced slimming diet and to stick to it, and your daily exercise, until you have reached your goal weight and beyond, if necessary.