Question

Nephrotic syndrome, calcium and warfarin
I''m a 43 year old woman, have 25% kidney function left but are healthy, fit and in shape. I''m on blood clotting therapy and is concerned that this may cause osteoperosis. Will it be save for me to take a calcium supplement taking into consideration the condition of my kidneys?
Healthy Bones
Healthy Bones

Dear Annemie
With your history of nephrotic syndrome you are probably in a negative calcium balance and your vit D levels may also be low which can of course in the long run lead to bone loss. I suggest you discuss this with your doctor as your 24 H urine calcium excretion needs to be monitored carefully before supplementing with vit D. Calcium is safe in small doses, but please rther ask your physician who knows your history better.