Question

Nervous
Hi doc, I need some help please. I' m not an outspoken person and tend to get very nervous when I' m in a group of people or for example in a meeting that I have to participate in, I just cant speak, it feels like I go completely blank and can' t find the words to even ask a question.Even when someone say something not very kind to me or about me in my presence I can' t respond, I just don' t know what to say back or how to say what I' m feeling at that moment, I just want to hide somewhere.Please help as this is holding me back in my work situation as well as socially.What do I need to do, or where should I go for help.
Thanks for your help!

Many people feel the same way when they need to speak up or perform in some way in front of an audience --- its related to social anxiety disorder, and responds very well indeed to fairly brief treatment wioth Cognitive-Behaviour Disorder ( CBT ). It will help you not just to feel confident to function in such situations when you need to, but to feel fine when being observed or even evaluated by others. Any good shrink shopuld be able to help or at least to link your to a competent CBT counsellor min your area --- and the anxiety/depression support group ( number on this page ) lists many such practitioners