Ask an expert

12 Mar 2007

nervous about vitamin message
DietDoc: your recent responses to vitamin questions really has me scared. I take Supradyn daily, and also Evening Primrose Oil. The former I took due to loss of energy and fear of not getting all necessary vitamins and minerals, and the latter was recommended by a pharmacist for my mood swings especially around my periods. I'm 49. I do not know whether I get enough vitamines per day with my "normal" diet. I don't know for example, how much I should eat of certain foodstuffs to get the daily dose of vitamins (10g, 50g, 100g,200g?), and whether it would be possible for me to eat everything every day to get 100% nutritional benefit. Eg. if I eat half a tin of salmon twice a week, do I get the necessary amount of Omega3, etc? Is there a complete list somewhere for natural food products, like the information one would get on vitamin packaging, eg. x grams of broccoli would provide x% of RDA of a certain vitamin, etc?
Answer 402 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Sylvia
Please do not be worried. I would recommend that you take the Supradyn every second day or 3 times a week, to ensure that you are not getting too much vitamin A and E. There are the SA Food Tables that list more or less all the foods eaten in SA and their vitamin and mineral contents per 100g or 100 ml, but the best thing is to just eat a varied diet that contains many different foods. For example on the day you eat butternut or broccoli you will be getting sufficient beta-carotene for the whole week. If the Evening Primrose oil helps with your mood swings then you can continue to take it (it is not a vitamin by the way, but an essential fatty acid), but I find it strange that the pharmacist told you to take Evening Primrose which is rich in omega-6 (which we get more than enough of in our western diets) and not Salmon oil capsules that are rich in omega-3?? When you have completed this batch of Evening Primrose, rather change to Salmon oil capsules for the mood swings.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9270 votes
66% - 17927 votes