Question

New Addition
Ok so my question has 2 parts:

1. I have a 3 year old Maltese that we adopted. Before we took her she had 2 litters of puppies. So we hope the mother instinct is there. We leave her home while we at work and she seems fine. No behaviour that shows unhappiness. The only thing is we think she is getting lonely during the day. We going to get her a friend in the form of another 11 week old Maltese puppy. Will she mother this puppy while we are at work during the day? In other words, will the puppy be fine with her there during the day?

2. Our older Maltese eats chicken and rice (thats all she will eat) so my 2nd question is can I feed the puppy this?

Hi MalteseLover

Before you get a companion for your 3 year old take her to the park and see how she interacts with other puppies. This will determine if you should get a pup as a companion. Another option is to get a dog walker or good neighbour/friend to walk her on a daily basis while you are at work. In additin it maybe a god idea to enrich her environment with feeding toys etc.

Geneally I would not advise feed puppy soley on chicken/rice as the diet requirement are different of puppies given that they are growing. It would be advisable to use a premium puppy dog food or see what homemade puppy diets are available on the market.

As you are feeding a soft food to your 3year old you need to please check the teeth on a regular basis to ensure that her dental hygiene is good. So many people forget about the damage that severe dental decay can do to there pet