Question

New Kitty
My son convinced me to allow him to bring home a new kitty (8 weeks & male) on Saturday. So far the 3 foxies seem to have accepted him, we had him out on the grass and all they did was sniff him over and lose interest.

My problem however, is my spoilt neutered male cat who is about 18 months old. All he does is spit and swear and walk away.

Will they ever get used to each other and what can I do to help if anything?
cybervet

Hi K
This is very normal and cats often take weeks or months to get to know each other. You could introduce them very gradually and only allow the kitten into one room at a time for at least the first two weeks. This way the older cat will smell his presence slowly spreading around the home. At the same time you could use a towel or soft brush to brush both cats so their scents mingle. Ideally you should introduce them with the kitten in a wire cage for 10 minutes a day, always giving the older cat lots of positive attention while you do this. You could try feeding them this way, giving the kitten its food in the cage and the cat his food outside the cage, but in the same room. Gradually they should get to know each other and you can open the cage with the older cat in the area, perhaps at feeding time. You can also try to play with them together, using a piece of string perhaps. Time and patience are important.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST