Question

new kitty best pals with dog but frightens the other cat
Cyber vet or any other pet,

We decided to adopt a 7 week old female kitten a few days ago. She is extremely playfull and affectionate and she had no problems making friend with our (male) Jack Russel (almost 2 years old). My problem is that she hisses and growls at our only other cat - a male not neutered (3years). He is a very sensitive 'friendly' and homely cat. The next day after we brought her home he 'dissapeared ' for two days. Fortunately he did come home but I am so sceared that he decides that he's been replaced.

Due to his personality he gets a lot of love and attention especcially from the kids and we even bought him his faviourite food and catnip especcilly not to make him feel unloved with the 'newcommer'.

I do not know what to do. I do not want to loose my other cat nor can i even entertain the idea of either having the kitty put down or re-addopted.

Any suggestions welcome! (and yes, the male is due for his sterilasation tuesday)
cybervet

Hi There

I suggest you keep your male cat in a room where he will not dissappear before his sterilasation. He will soon adjust. If your new addition is sleeping on a specific blanket, take the blanket and put it in the room with your male. He will be able to smell the new arrival and become more at ease with the new one. You can also use some rescue remedy if he is severly stressed. The catnip is a great idea. You can give him lots of that. If your new kitty has been in an area, close her away and allow your male to sniff around where she has been. They should soon start playing. He will not think you have replaced him.

Candice
Animal Behaviourist