Question

New Puppy
Hi there!
Our 4 miniature Dachshunds are our kids (2 males, 2 females, not spayed). 3 out of them sleep in the house (in their basket in our room) get lots of attention and treats every day. Last week we got a 16 week old female Labrador. She fitted in immediately. She started eating and getting to know her surroundings from the word go! She''s extremely confident. My other dogs were intrigued in the beginning, but not all that interested in her.
When I got home from work the next day (Wednesday), they cornered the Labbie and t barked and occasionally snapped at her. I was very concerned, but decided to feed them separately as I thought that they were upset because she ate all of their food.
They were fine on Thursday and I thought our problems were history. On Friday we found the labbie hiding but the others weren''t close by. Saturday afternoon, after getting home, we found them again cornering her and barking/snappings at her. We disciplined them (the 4 dachshunds) and it''s been good every since. But they keep avoiding the Labbie and it seems that she''s sad as no one will play with her. What can I do to get everybody to get along? they even sleep in the same basket and no one gets more/less attention than the other one.
any help will be greatly appreciated.
thanking you in advance.
Dog Behaviour Expert
Dog Behaviour Expert

Hi Amber, I really would suggest you get in some professional help for this. You need to bring in House Rules for all the dogs as to what you do and dont accept and as the behaviour is happening when you are not there. You also need to sort out the hierarchy situation (you and family are always higher) and there must be consequences for unacceptable behaviur.It could be a case that when they hear you coming, the behaviour starts, but somebody needs to see the daily interaction between the dogs. I am so sorry, but this is one of those cases that cannot be solved via a forum, much too complicated. Please have a look at www.animal-behaviour.org.za to find a behaviourist near you.
I would also definately feed all dogs seperately, feeding twice a day (pup three times) to avoid reactive behaviour at food bowls and I would seriously ask you to consider sterilizating all dogs. If you have trouble finding a behaviourist near you, please do contact me and i will do my utmost to assist. Thanks Scotty