Question

NEW VEGETARIAN
I have recently (the last three months) stopped eating meat, ie all flesh but do eat eggs and dairy products. I am concerned that I am not getting enough iron and other important vitamins and minerals - what would you suggest? Do I need to start taking supplements or will I find all the nutrients I need in fruit and vegetables?

Dear Vegetarian
If you eat diary products and eggs on a regular basis, plus plenty of unprocessed cereals and grains, as well as legumes, you should not develop problems. It is, however, a good idea to have your serum ferritin levels checked every now and then to see if your iron and B12 intakes are sufficient to prevent various types of anaemia. If you should develop an iron or B12 deficiency, then your dr will prescribe supplements when they are necessary. Try to buy omega-3 enriched eggs and milk to ensure that your omega-3 intake is adequate seeing that you are not eating fish.