Question

Next Step
Dear Profs

About two yrs ago I had an ectopic pregnancy. After the opp I went through all the necessary treatment. I decided to wait a little longer now I think it's time for me to start again. What can one do as a next step before trying? Do I need check ups or follow ups or what?

Please advice.

Anxious M
fertility expert

Dear M

The first step would be to establish the normality of the remaining tube and should this be patent then simple ovulation induction using either tablets such as clomiphene citrate (clomid, fertimed, serifene) together with ovulation monitoring and timed intercourse is all that is necessary. Should this fail after 3 such attempts then progress to ultra sound monitoring and intrauterine insemination is recommended. If 3 such attempts have not succeeded then I would suggest invitro fertilisation. Please remember that after 1 ectopic the risk of another ectopic increases to 40%.