Question

NLD and maths
Hi, My son (12 yrs) has NLD (Non Verbal Learning Disorder). He is struggling with maths and I would like to know how I can help him. I have read that these children dont see numbers, they will be better at their times table if it was written out in long hand. Any books or programmes I could try?

Dear Famous Eckles,
I presume someone with some expertise has diagnosed NLD ? IF so, it was naughty and mischievous of them to make any such dagnosis without giving you a full explanation of the term, the implications of the diagnosis, treatment advice, gidance as to resources, and advice on what you could do to help, at home.
This is not a condition that the usual shrink would deal with, so if one needed further advice, I'd seek out a specialist in Child Psychology, if available, or a CHild Psychiatrist. Much depends on getting a clearer picture of his problem, or instance if it is a difficulty in reading and recognizing numbers as written numerically, or a difficulty in visualizing and working with numbers / qualtities, however they may be presented to him.
Have you done a good web-search, (eg with a search-engine like www.google.com ) for more information and materials ? Have you found anything useful so far ?