Question

No Menstral Cycle, Trying to conceive
I have no menstral cycle for over a year now, the doc told me to loose weight and excercise, which i have done and have 25 kgs to loose. HE also told me go on a course of Diane for 6 months to regulate my period.

What do you think?
fertility expert

Dear Cindy

The most likely diagnosis in this situation is polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). In addition I would suggest some form of insulin resistance tests, as well as other hormonal tests (thyroid functions, prolactin etcetera). If all the above is normal then the use of Diane might be appropriate if conception is not immediately desired. However in cases where there is a fertility problem as well, it would be better to consider ovulation induction by means of tablets or a combination of tablets and injections so as to speed up the process.

In general it is common practice for ovulation monitoring to start on day 10 of the cycle if done by ultrasound scanning. Of particular importance, some patients may even ovulate as early as day 10 or day 11 if put onto clomiphene citrate (clomid, fertimed etcetera).

The Pregnyl dose is not of any consequence and ovulation can occur even on a single ampoule of 5000 units. The intercourse dates were appropriate if timed according to the pregnyl injection. However this would significantly depend on whether there was ultrasound monitoring to guide the use of pregnyl.

A progesterone test 8 or 9 days after the pregnyl injection would have detected ovulation or at least a progesterone response to treatment. I suggest that you start having your ultrasound scans early on so as to not miss possible ovulation.