Question

No muscle loss!
I'm a 21 year old female and would like to loose 5kg but how do I insure that I don't loose some of my muscle along with the fat? I train with weights twice a week and do cardio on the other days. It's very important for me to shed the fat but I won't like to loose all my hard earned muscles as well. Any advice in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Hi Fit

Losing muscle means that you are eating too little for the exercise and energy you are using, which causes the body to rely on sources like proteins and hence muscle for energy. So the key is that energy in must be close to energy out. of course, to lose weight, you must make sure that energy in, your diet, is not as great as energy out, but the key is to match the two closely enough that you don't lose weight excessively and hence rely on muscle sources, with the fact that you still want to be slightly under the level in order to lose weight. Therefore, it is the type of food and the amounts that you put in that will determine your success from exercise. The diet part is best done in consultation with a dietician, to be sure that you are eating correctly.

Then, with regards to exercise, there is not too much to say because the balance you currently have between weights and cardio is about right. That means that keeping up those weight training days is important because it ensures that you don't lose muscle tone or mass. But the cardio is there to help you lose fat mass. So keep that up and then as long as your diet complements your exercise, you should see the results you want.