Question

No sperm found
Hi Doctor

I am 30 yrs old and my wife 26 yrs.
We are trying to conceive for 2 1/2 ys. After some tests, it was found that my wife is fine. However, the urologist found that I have NO SPERM.
I only smoke about 5 cigs a day.... do not drink.

What is the cause of having no sperm at all (although I ejaculated abot 3ml of semen)?
What can be done and will I be able to produce sperm again.

Ps: I was advised that ICSI is the only procedure that MAY help.
I am looking for another option as I cannot afford ICSI
procedure
fertility expert

dear Clive

The condition you are refering to is called azoospermia. There are many different possible causes for azoospermia, but broadly speaking there are to main categories.

1. Obstructive azoospermia - where there is some blockage that prevents sperm from entering the ejaculatory ducts and therefore the only content of seminal fluid is what we call the seminal plasma. This the so-called 3ml of semen that you are producing.

2. Non-obstructive azoospermia - where there is no obstruction, but there is failure to produce sperm at the testicular cellular level. This is in other words equivalent to testicular failure .

A urologist will be able to shed more light on the cause of your azoospermia by doing several blood tests as well as a careful examination of the scrotum.

I would recommed that if feasible, a testes biopsy be performed and if sperm is obtained, it be frozen for future use. ICSI will be the tretment of choice in this option where sperm is obtained. Although it may not be affordable to you at this point in time, I would still recommend that the sperm be frozen for future use. It can remain preserved for many years and can be used at a later stage.
With regards to the cost of ICSI, there are various protocol options possible. One could even get an ICSI cycle for as little as R 7500.00. This obviously depending on the type of stimulation one needs to use on your wife. The average cost of an ICSI however varies between R 12 500.00 and R 17 500.00 .

Your final alternative would be to use donor sperm which may prove to be a more cost -effective form of treatment.