Question

No weight loss after 2 months of gymming, running and rowing
Hi there, I'm a 41 year old male, vegetarian and have been training intensively (this includes free weights, circuit, cycling and jogging) for 2 months at a professional gym. My weight was 90kg when I started, and is still at that level. Since my main objective is to lose weight, I am getting very discouraged.
My average weight since 1980 has been 75 kg, but this has shot up since 1997.
I am over 6 feet tall, and feel that I should at least break the 80 kg barrier.
I eat half a cup of mixed brown rice and lentils with veggies twice a day, and Pronutro in the morning.
How much aerobic exercise should I be doing to see ANY results? Should I change my diet?
Is it a matter of age?

Dear Reader
I tried to calculate your BMI using a height of 6 foot which works out to 26,9, which is a bit overweight. To reach your ideal BMI of 23, you should weigh 77 kg. It is ironic that if you eat too little, your body slows down its weight loss mechanisms and I think you may not be eating sufficient to fuel your energy output with the type of exercise you are doing. In your case, I would also start worrying that you are not getting sufficient calcium, vitamin B12, iron and omega-3 fatty acids. Please consider seeing a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings) to obtain the name and address of your nearest dietitian), who will be able to work out a special diet for you that takes your individual condition into account. In the meanwhile, try eating more high-fibre carbs such as wholewheat bread, pasta with vegetable sauces and if this is not against your convictions, some low-fat milk and yoghurt. Take a complete vitamin and mineral supplement and Salmon oil capsules to boost your omega-3 intake.