Question

noise in ear
for about a month now when i lie on my left side, there''s a noise in my ear, it sounds almost like a washing machine or water. it is driving me insane. i have been using otrivin for a bit to help my blocked nose, can it be causing it?

please advise what i can do?

ENT Expert
ENT Expert

Dear Heidi

You need to see a doctor or an a ENT, as you could be suffering from OME (otitis media with effusion). This is because of the build-up of fluid behind the eardrum. It would require the use of oral medication to try and clear up the problem. The Otrivin is not directly to blame, but continous use could cause rebound swelling of the nasal mucousa.