Question

29 Oct 2009

NOISE POLLUTION
What is the rule regarding agriculture. My neighbours have very noisy spray pumps that they use often at night causing my family and my farm workers to lose sleep. is it true that there is a " right to farm" ruling that releases farmers from the normal law on noise pollution?
EnviroHealth expert
EnviroHealth Expert

Farmers may be exempt as regards certain activities, but they would still most likely need to apply in writing to the authorities for such an exemption. They would still need to comply with the broad conditions of the Environment Conservation Act:

4. No person shall make, produce or cause a disturbing noise, or allow it to be made, produced or caused by any person, animal, machine, device or apparatus or any combination thereof; where a disturbing noise means a noise level that exceeds the ambient sound level measured continuously at the same measuring point by 7 dBA or more;

5. No person shall –
(a) cause a noise nuisance, or allow it to be caused, ……..where a noise nuisance means any sound which disturbs or impairs or may disturb or impair the convenience or peace of any person.

Regulations and exeptions do also differ depending what part of the country you're in. You will need to contact your local authority to find out what steps may be taken.