Question

non-specific melanoma in 10 year old cat
Hi- my 10 year old British Blue developed a growth the size of a pea in the corner of her mouth. The vet had it removed and tested and said that it' s a non-specific melanoma and it is malignant. He says he doesn' t think chemo or radiotherapy would help, since the area is very sensitivewith a lot of blood vessels and nerves in that area. This is also the reason why he couldn' t remove everything. The tumour is certainly aggressive and in the two weeks after the op it has grown back to its original size. I certainly don' t want to subject her to all kinds of treatments but I wondered whether something like acupuncture might make it smaller? (I' m grasping at straws here!) If nothing will help, how will I know when it' s so bad that I shouldn' t let her suffer anymore? She' s still fine: eating and playing. She doesn' t want me to touch the area, which makes me think it' s sensitive but she doesn' t cry. How can I know if it' s bad for her, if she' s in pain? It' s driving me crazy!
Christa

Dear Christa

Unfortunately melanomas carry a very grave prognoses and can spread elsewhere. Ask your vet for Metacam. This is a anti-inflammatory that you can use daily long term. As soon as she seems very uncomfortable it will be best not to continue past that point.