Question

Not Exhaling while asleep
Lately I have become aware while asleep of not exhaling. The one night while semi-conscious I found myself pushing against my stomach telling myself to exhale.
What can cause this?
I did have a sleep test done at home over a year ago and they said I had mild apnoae, but is that not where you miss taking a breath in?
What causes one to stop breathing out?
Thank you
Sleep Expert
sleep expert

The only way to really know what is happening is to get a good quality sleep test. Unfortunately, the home-based tests are subject to numerous errors, and can only really be regarded as a rough approximation of the situation.

I would suggest that you get referred to a sleep laboratory where a full, high-quality test can be done with overnight observation by a technician. That should be able to tell you what is going on, and if it is anything of importance.