Question

Not loosing weight

I am a 37 year old female, 1.75 tall and suffer from insulin resistance and depression for which I take anti-depressants. I want to have a baby but my dr told me I should bring my weight down to round 65 - 70kg. I really need to loose a lot of weight, round 50kg, to get there and have really been trying for the past 3 months. I eat healthy as I was given an eating plan by a dietician, I can not go back to her regularly as it costs to much, to assist with the insulin resistance and I follow that 95% of the time. I get on the exercise bike daily for 45 minutes and will also start swimming, 60 minutes slow crawl as often as I can get to a pool, again as soon as it gets warmer. Surely I should have lost something already but not even 1kg has come off, I have not even lost any cm. I have spoken to my psyciatrist and the medication I am on can not have an influence on my weight. What could the problem be, what more can I do? I really want to loose this weight as soon as possible.

Thank you

Dear Just Me
I am sorry to hear that you are not losing weight even when you probably use a low-fat, low-GI diet that I presume the dietitian gave you. On top of this you are doing plenty of aerobic exercise, so something else needs to be done. There are a number of options. You can return to the dr who diagnosed you insulin resistance and discuss this inability to lose any weight. Ask the dr if he/she would consider prescribing Glucophage or Xenical. The Glucophage would help with the insulin resistance, while the Xenical would cause weight loss because it prevents you from absorbing any fat from your diet. The very-low-fat intake then causes weight loss. Otherwise in view of the fact that you say that you need to lose 50 kg, it may be an idea to ask the dr to refer you to a surgeon for a gastric bypass. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then do a search with 'Bariatric Surgery' to access the 2 articles I have written in the past 2 weeks about surgery for weight loss in patients who are very overweight.
Holding thumbs that you do get to lose those 50 kg.