Question

Not losing weight on scales
I've been to a dietician and am practicing her diet to the letter. I've also added gym to the equation (all this since January). The scales are still reflecting 70kg which was what I was when I started despite the vigorous 40 minutes of cardio and weight training and sticking to the diet. Its very disheartening. I'm not insulin resistant and nor do I have a thyroid problem. My bloods are all normal, the only thing I have is multiple gall stones. The dietician sayes I've lost 2.5 inches altogether and 1% of body fat. I'm 5ft 3 and 70kg's and my body fat was 39% when I started. Is this a high percentage? It sounds like I'm morbidly obese!! I'm really getting depressed because of the scales and I only go on them once a week. I'm 46 and post menopausal. What could be stopping the weight from falling off? I'm told the gall stones don't have anything to do with my body holding onto its fat. I'm gaving the gall bladder removed next month.

Dear Deidre
I don't think you are morbidly obese as you have a BMI of 26,9 which is in the overweight category, but not obese. The gallstones are not 'holding on' to your fat. You may find that after the op you will feel much better. The body fat% of 39% is high, but this is because I suspect your ratio of muscle tissue to fat tissue is still low. The regular exercise will change this - you have proof in the 2,5 inches and 1% body fat that you have already lost, so I would persevere with the diet and the exercise. You can discuss the use of Xenical with your dietitian as this could just promote extra fat loss. See what she says.
Hang in there