Ask an expert

28 Oct 2009

not ovulating
Hi. Ive been off contraceptives for three years but have been unable to conceive. I have been to the gynae and all tests have come back clear. They say that my hormones are out of balance and want to put me back on the pill. This was a year ago. I did not do anything and my period has normilised to the extend that i can actually follow my cycle closely and i know when my next period comes.
Although my period is regular it has been extremely painfull for the last couple of months. I experience nausia, tender breasts, heartburn and lower back and pelvic pain, bloatness and light constipation for up to two weeks before my period start. Each time this happens i rush to go buy a preg test but it is always negative. Last month my period came with lots of pain but no blood really.
I have asked the Gynea in this forum and they say i might not be ovulating. I dont have money to go to a ferterlity clinic and goverment hospitals dont want to help as ive had two succesful pregnancies before but i really want another child and are at a lost as to what else i can do for this to happen.
Please help me. What must i do? Should i go back to the gynae?
Answer 365 views
Fertility expert
Fertility Expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Haamidah

There are two pertinent issues regarding your problem. The first is the problem of the initial menstrual irregularity, which has supposedly normalized. The second problem is that of the associated symptoms such as pain, breast tenderness and nausea which accompanies your cycle. Each problem has it’s own possible problems and need to be dealt with independently. One has to seriously consider the possibility of late onset polycystic ovary syndrome, which may have been responsible for the irregular cycles initially. The fact that your cycles have normalized does not imply that you are getting better and in some cases may actually be indication of increased severity. I agree that ovulation is certainly a problem and needs to be further evaluated. You check this by yourself by using the home ovulation testing kits such as Clearplan and if used properly one can establish a pattern over several months. The other problem regarding the pain is more than likely related to a structural problem in your pelvis either a change in your womb or the presence of endometriosis. This should be assessed by means of laparoscopy and can be done in a government hospital. Ideally you should be seeing a fertility specialist even if it is at a government institution.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9270 votes
66% - 17923 votes