Question

Not ovulating, want to fall pregnant
I am 30 years old and we desperately want to fall pregnant. I was on the pill for 10 years, which I stopped 8 months ago. My cycles are very regular at 25 days, and meses lasting for about 5 days, however last month's cycle was 27 days and today is the 29th day and I have no period yet. My gynae did a nomal check-up last month and also sent me for a progesterone blood test on day 21 - according to that I am not ovulating. I got the results yesterday and am so dissapointed... could it perhaps be that I did not ovulate last month only, but usually do since I have the "ovulation discharge"? The gynae suggested my hubby goes for a semen analysis early next week whereafter I have an appointment with him. It just seems so long until then, any advice? Thanks in advance!
fertility expert

Dear Worried

It is importanat to understand that when the mesntrual cycle is less than 28 days, ovulation would have occured 3-4 days earlier than expected, ie +/- day 11 of the cycle.
This would then imply that day 21 progesterone levels are no longer valid and the progesterone testing should be done 3 days earlier; ie day 18.

Alternately, ultrasound scanning can be done from about day 10 of the cycle to monitor follicle development and to verify ovulation. As a last alternative an endometrial biopsy can be done on the first day of menstrual bleeding or just prior to the onset of bleeding. This would certainly confirm or refute the ovulation status