Question

not sleepin
Hi, I''m 41. I''ve never been a great sleeper, but always managed quite fine on the sleep I got. The last 2 weeks have been awful, I''ve had a cold for a while and been unable to sleep, I find myself awake still at 1am, tossing and tunring. The cold is gone now but still I can''t seem to fall asleep or stay asleep. I took a sleeping pill one night this week and slept like a baby. Does this mean I should keep taking sleeping pills? Or try to find out what the problem is? I do have a regular bedtime routine, am relatively fit, etc
thanks
Sleep Expert
Sleep expert

I'm sure its the cold that has knocked your sleep around a bit.

No, you should not get into the habit of taking sleeping pills every night - once in a while is great, but not every night.

Do NOT go to sleep earlier than your usual time - if anything, go to bed a bit later. Get up at your usual time - don't sleep in.

If you are lying in bed and not sleeping - DON'T STAY THERE. Get up, go to another room, and read quietly. Once you feel tired, get back to bed. You will sleep more quickly this way than if you just lie in bed, and you wont create any bad habits.