Question

nuckle cracking
Dear Doc, I have a horrible habit of cracking my nuckles. Is this really bad for you? What are the long term side effects?

Also, my hips, knees, back etc cracks automatically more often everyday. Is this reason to worry?
Cyberdoc

Hallo Marike
The cracking sound is caused by the slipping of the cartilage over each other. One would obviously not want to cause unnecessary friction and erosion of the surfaces over years, so I would advise you to try and stop the habit if possible! There is nothing you can do and neither do you have to worry about "naturally" creaking joints. It may help to take supplements like Glucosamine/Chondroitin (OsteoEze).