Ask an expert

14 Aug 2007

Hi, since having had breast cancer 5 years ago at 34yrs , my body went into premature menopause and I have not been able to lose the 12kg that I put on. It was suggested that i see a nutritionist who will do an analysis, then follow up with a dietician. Please help. What is the difference between the two. And can anybody suggest a great nutritionist and dietician within the johannesburg or even pretoria area. Thanks ....
Answer 632 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Carry
The difference between a nutritionist and a dietitian in SA is usually that nutritionists do not work out specific diets for patients but tend to work with food products, etc. I would recommend that you go straight to a clinical dietitian who will do both the analysis and prescribe the diet. For obvious reasons I cannot refer you directly, but visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.