Question

obagi vs vi derm peel
Hello doc. What is the differance between the obagi blue peel and the vi derm peel and which one is better?
thank you
Anti-ageing expert
anti-ageing expert

Hi Corrie, thank you for the question and my apologies for the delay with my response but I have been away attending my practice in London.

The Obagi peel is a medium depth TCA peel (20 to 40%) that is indicated for the treatment of sun damage, medium to moderate depth wrinkles and to a certain degree tightening of skin. Downtime is between 10 to 14 days and will include severe redness, scabbing, oozing, and sloughing.

Similarly the Vi peel is indicated for improving the overall appearance of the skin and contains the following ingredients: TCA, Retin-A (acid derived from vitamin A), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid which acts as an exfoliant), Phenol (antiseptic and anesthetic properties), and Vitamin C (antioxidant and mild exfoliation properties). The Vi peel does not penetrate as deeply as the Obagi peel system and as such has much less downtime and the after effects are much less dramatic.

Typically patients prefer a lower downtime procedure but expect redness, some scabbing, and even sloughing of skin with the Vi Peel.
Neither peel is better than the other so the choice of peel is dependent on the degree of damage to the skin, the degree of improvement you would like to see, and what downtime and discomfort you are prepared to go through.