Question

Obese but not unhealthy
My BMI is at a shocking 47. But i don''t have any health issues like heart or suger problems, only being very unfit.
I need help to get my weight down drastically but honestly don''t know where to start,
I have cut out sugar and so but as I do not live by myself and work shifts so my diet is not very healthy

Can you help me please!?

Dear Adele
If your BMI = 47, then it would indeed be a good idea to try and lose weight. I am glad to hear that you do not have heart or sugar problems. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise for at least 30 min a day. I would suggest that you start with a non-stressful exercise like walking and do 10 min a day. Then as you start losing weight and get more mobile, you can increase how long, far and fast you walk. It may be a good idea to join Walk for Life, because the trainers will help you with your exercise and also provide encouragement. If you find that you are struggling with the diet, then please consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will also be able to give you support and guide you to start eating foods that are low in fat and energy.
Holding thumbs that you will now start losing and change your life for the better.