Ask an expert

28 Jul 2011

Obese!! is surgery my answer?
I have been struggling with my weight since I was a child. I have tried every diet, injections and pills i can think of with no luck. I loose some weight and then pick it up again. With my pregnancy i gained 29kg and ever since I cant lose the weight. I cant play with my little girl(2 years) then Im out of breath. I cant sit on the ground cause my legs dont want to bent! This is really affecting my life, im depressed all the time and dont want to go out anywhere because off how i look. Can someone please help me?
Answer 421 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Nicholene
If you have difficulty losing weight and are obese with a BMI of more than 30, then so-called bariatric surgery may be the answer. A gastric bypass or "bariatric surgery" is a rather drastic step, but it can be used to lose large amounts of weigh successfully. You can contact the Bariatric Centres of Excellence in regard to having a gastric bypass to assist weightloss. Contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at to discuss this option.
Remember to discuss the operation and all its effects very thoroughly before you make your decision.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.