Question

O.D.D. Assessment for 9 year old son
My 9 year old son was diagnosed as having ADD a few years ago. He is using Concerta on a daily basis. Tyron is very disruptive both in class and at home. He is the middle child with a younger brother, who he is teaching to be just as disruptive & argumentative as he is. I would like to have him assessed for O.D.D. We live in the Midrand area and i would appreciate a referal to someone close to our area who can help.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance.
Lee

If he is still disruptive, I gather that the Concerta is not working to your satisfaction. When you refer to him "teaching" his younger brother to behave badly, you may have made a vitally important observation. Kids with ADD are hyperactive, but not necessarily naughty and disruptive, and neither are they immune to being naughty, like any other child. And then the sort of techniques so well demonstrated in the BBC ( DSTV Channel 40 ) series like SuperNanny and Little Angel, can work really well. Any good local child psychologist ought to be able to do a useful assessment here, and advise on devising such a behavioural progam to persuade him and his little brother to toe the line !