Question

Office Fat
Hi Doc,

Let me firstly say that I use to be really thin. When I got pregnant, I weighed only 39kg, at 29-years. My weight has gotten better since. Anyway I have recently, well last eight months started a job that requires me to sit behind a desk all day. I have found that I have picked up about 5-kgs in this period alone. I am absolutely stunned, I always battled to put on the weight. I have started a gym routine, but I am not sure how to get rid of this new flabby tummy and thighs. I also eat very little, and have a very poor appetite. I have been on supplements, but could not handle being hungry all the time.

Please help, I would like to get into a good fitness programme, with a good diet to support this. I weigh 50kg at present, and I am 32 years.

Hi there

I am glad that you have added some exercise to your lifestyle considering that you are now desk bound during the day. i really think that everyone should exercise, and so it's a good way to start 2005. However, I do have to say that from your exercise training, I don't think that you should aim for weight loss as the primary goal. For a couple reasons: Firstly, at 50 kg, you are most likely well within the normal weight for your range, and if anything, still slightly low. 39 is extraordinary, 50 is low, and the problem that this creates is that the body may be trying to naturally keep you there. Exercise, though it will increase the metabolic rate, is not going to cause massive weight loss, if you are already at what the body has 'decided' is a normal weight. So, it can only lead to frustration to aim for only weight loss.

that's certainly not reason to continue though. I do think that if you just maintain the gym you are doing, you will see results. The important things, remember for toning these specific regions, are cardiovascular exercise, which is for fat burning, and then some weight training, which aids in muscle defintion. I think that you should combine the two for effective results, and give it time, because it is likely that your body fat is just distributed on these specific areas, and it's not a case of being overweight, as i explained.