Question

Oily layer on soil
I live in the West Beach / Blouberg area. When we built here 2 years ago our soil was basically beach sand where the water immediately drained away. Lately the water just sits on top of the soil and when I scratch the surface with my finger its bone dry underneath.

When chatting to friends in Table View and Parklands I learnt that they have been experiencing the same thing.

Do you think its possible that the Caltex refinery is causing this? We were very concerned that it may be airborne and we could be inhaling this.
EnviroHealth expert
envirohealth expert

Interesting question i.e. I'm not sure! I'll make some enquiries and see if I can find out more - please check the forum again later in the week.

The Caltex refinery is definitely a contributing factor to air pollution in the area, and fallout from this could end up on the soil - but I think it would be very difficult to pin this on one pollution source. I'm also wondering whether effluent into the sea from their outlet pipe, and other marine oil spills, could have an influence.