Ask an expert

14 Mar 2004

Older cat jealous or angry with me???
I got a kitten over 4 months ago & my eldest cat has been displaying some very weired behaviour! He has never been the most "loving" cat, but he would always "greet" me, sit on my lap, let me pick him up, follow me around & sleep on my bed when it was cold & come to me when I called him.
After we got this kitten he absolutely refused to come inside-even to eat! (Strange for him because his life revolved around food & he was even a little overweight!) He has begun to venture inside again but he is VERY jumpy. He eats & then he runs out again, but I have noticed he has lost some weight (Which is what the vet recommended when we took him 4 months ago).
He HATES the kitten with a passion. If I go near him after touching the kitten he will attack me (Hissing scratching & biting) I can no longer pick him up & he does come when I call him but he sits at least 3 feet away. I can stroke him occassionally but only for a very brief period. He was a wild cat, but we got him as kitten & he seemed to get "tame." I am worried he has gone wild again!
How can I build back the bond I used to have with my eldest "baby boy" tomcat? I miss him.
Answer 361 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi "Just a Cat lover"
Cats are never really "tame". Some decide it's beneficial to be friends with humans as they get food and comfortable homes and some remain feral all their lives. Your cat is showing very common behaviour which occurs when a new cat "invades" the territory of a resident cat. This is not weird behaviour for a cat. The best thing you can do is neuter the young cat as soon as possible and then spend as much time with the older one as possible, ignoring the younger one in his presence. Usually cats eventually (sometimes it takes years) sort things out if you just leave them alone. You can try to feed the older cat many small meals a day, giving him attention when he's eating, but there's not much else you can do, except wait.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.