Question

Omega 3

Meds are making my cholestrol go sky high. I''ve been told to go on a cholestrol eating plan. I''ve read your comments to the poster below, read articles on this site. I''m taking flaxseed with Omega 3,6,9. Is that ok? Or should I only take Omega 3. Is seefood like mussles, shrimp, oysters ok? Thanks

Dear Su
If certain medications are making your cholesterol increase, then the doctor should also provide you with a cholesterol-lowering drug like Crestor because there is no guarantee that lowering your dietary cholesterol intake will lower your blood cholesterol, if the latter is due to side-effects of medication. Flaxseed is a reasonable source of omega fatty acids, but salmon oil is still the best source of omega-3 which is regarded as most beneficial for lowering cholesterol. Per 100g mussels contain 59 mg cholesterol, shrimps and prawns 195 mg and oysters 55 mg cholesterol, thus go easy on the shrimps and prawns. If you have read my advice to the previous Reader and the information on this site about lowering cholesterol then you should be able to reduce your dietary cholesterol intake.
I hope you can sort this problem out.