Ask an expert

30 Jun 2005

On line addition??
Ok I am not using my ussual nic. I find myself feeling as if I am addicted to the net... especially this forum where I intact with people and yet in my personall life I dont seem to interact to the same extent that I do here. I was "addicted" to some other chat forum till I had a bad experience with some idoit who some how managed to track my idendenty and started stalking me.

When I told my best friend, about this forum and the previous one she said, people who go to chat forums are all sick and there is something wrong with them mentally. Are we all here mentaly sick or is the something wrong with us. Why is it everytime I log in to my pc, the first place I go to is this forum.... Is this normal. Why do I find myself thinking about people (Nina, Lola, Liza etc) I interact with here at home, during weekend. Is this normal? I have learnt a lot from this site, from others thoughts and problems but I cant help but feel like its abnormal?
Answer 396 views

01 Jan 0001

Well, Moira, for a start, your friend is absolutely wrong --- there is no way that most people who use a forum like this are sick or have something nasty wrong with them. A support group, with a facility to discuss shared problems, is widely considered to be a helpful and Good thing. And it's normal to feel some degree of attachment to people you ncounter frequently, as you learn about the ups and downs of their lives. I don't hear anything abnormal in what you do. it's easier to interact with people here, because you can maintain anonymity, and can chose whether or when to join a discussion.
As for "addiction", the word is too often used loosely. But you are overdoing your time here ( or anywhere else on the web) if it interferes with your work, and with your studies, home or personal life. If this is so, then cut down the amount of time you allow yourself to log in.
Otherwise, Chelle makes a useful comparison to reading the newspaper or your favourite magazine.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.