Question

22 Apr 2006

One juicy, fat and carb filled meal. Yum
I normally eat quite well but some days I'm just really craving a proper meal and pudding (with proper meal I mean all the disgusting fats and juicy sauces along with it - not just dull healthy steamed veggies and fish...) On these days I'll ussualy go and have lunch at a restuarant, order for example a bacon, feta and avo tramazeni (sp?) with salad and then have dessert as well (such as a cake or peppermint crisp tart) it's ussualy at coffee shops so the cake pieces are big! What I want to know is - on these days I eat very little before and after the meal. I just munch on pineapple and eggwhites, will this be sufficient to keep me from gaining weight? or is the meal just too loaded with fat? I'm almost on my ideal weight so I don't want to mess things up this way. Please advice... oh and will this cause any muscle breakdown? I don't want to loose the hard-gained toning either. I'm still quite a stretch away from perfect but I am happy with how I'm looking currently and don't want to loose it - just want to improve!

Dear Miss Healthy
No, I don't think that having a meal high in fat and refined, high GI carbs will ruin your general diet regimen. Just don't start doing this all the time. Fats and sugary foods can easily 'seduce' you into eating them all the time. Humans are programme to like and desire fats and sugars because of our developmental history over thousands of years. These foods were very scarce for millennia and desirable because of their high energy content, so eating them once in awhile is fine, but don't get into the habit of having a daily fat and sugar fix.