Question

Ongoing dry cough of my 13 & 8 year olds
My kids both have had a dry cough for well over 6 weeks. We have been to the GP who has checked everything including lung function etc. No signs of sore throat but they seem to cough themselves to where they actually vomit. Mainly happens at night. My freind from Jhb just called to say that her 3 year old has the same symptoms. They were with us for a week last month. I am really worried and was wondering if there is a particular bug giong?

Dear Kevin
Some of the viral infections can cause an irritating cough for weeks on end. Try putting a humidifier in their room at night and putting them on an antihistamine like Zyrtec as this if often caused by a chronic post nasal drip due to allergies.
If they could have had contact with someone with TB , it is always good to just take a screening lung X/ray to exclude TB too.